Friday, January 19, 2007

Polyclinic and a Sad Goodbye

Our Tema Polyclinic is almost finished- but still there's a lot to be done before the opening ceremony in early February. During my first week here, I was able to go for a site tour of our Community Development Service Projects- one of which was the Tema Polyclinic. The demand for maternity health care is great in Tema. With the addition of this new clinic, more patients will be able to receive proper care covering everything from prenatal checkups to delivery. So Tuesday, I put on my bandanna, rolled up my sleeves and set out to do some painting! :) Yes, my job was the ceiling, and that is a large drop of paint that landed on my forehead before the picture was taken.


The picture below shows some of the crew. Naomi and I were the volunteers this particular day. We worked alongside the Ghanaian day workers, and the Mercy Ships CDS team.



Here I'm showing off my Martha Stewart skills :) I think she would be proud.



We look like a good team don't we? :) That afternoon for lunch we were served a very traditional Ghanaian lunch. White rice with fish curry. Then the special treat: either a fish head or tail. I took the tail :)


One of my dear friends here on Mercy Ships has served in both housekeeping and on the CDS polyclinic team for the past 6 weeks and left for his Australian home this past weekend. We miss you Karl!

Here we are having fun with some of our bestest buddies up on Aft deck. Right before this picture, Robert, the young man to the left, threw one of the playground balls overboard :) Oh Robert... but believe it or not, Karl came up with a crazy plan, and now the ball is back safe and sound on board.

So after Aft, we all held a goodbye party for our Aussie mate on the bow of the ship- lovingly referred to by me as "the pointy end" of the ship. I've never been one for technical terms. :) Bonus points go out to Kat and Andrea as they created a very colorful and tasty chocolate cake~


Well, it's not a wrap around porch and Cracker Barrel rocking chairs- but we managed to find some cozy spots to sit on :) I think mine ended up being one of the best!

Have a safe trip home Karl! We miss you and are praying for you!

No comments: