Friday, January 05, 2007

Shai Hills

Over Christmas break, the ship was not near as busy, and I was able to enjoy seeing Ghana's countryside and learn more of her history. Today we took off to Shai Hills- approximately a 40 minute drive from Tema port. Daniella, Andrea, Kallie and I piled in back of the Land Rover and off we went. :) I must say, I did feel a little "caged in".

In Ghana, there is not much opportunity to see the wildlife you usually associate with Africa, but here in Shai Hills, there are some baboons to see. This one found a very unique hang out spot:




We drove through the park "safari style" and was able to see much of the countryside. So much fun~




An hour hike takes you high into the mountain side where you can see for miles around. Years ago, these hills and caves housed African tribes as you will see evidence of later on. :)




As you walk along the trail, there are many worn rocks that look like mortars, or bowls. These rocks were in fact used as such to grind down various ingredients to make food, medicine, etc.



Rock walls are seen as you approach the caves, bordering the area where the tribe lived. These caves served as a great source of protection from predators and the elements.


I think in this picture, I'm thinking, "Now how do I get up there?" :) I never did figure it out. Next to where I am standing was a smaller cave where the tribal chief slept. It was tucked away from everything else.


Hope you all enjoyed the pictures! This week we will be getting our new VVF patients, and I will be going through additional medical training before they come. In a further post, I will share with you about these amazing women we will be serving.

No comments: